Madrid (AFP) – Madrid’s representation in La Liga was reduced from four to two teams for next season as Getafe and Rayo Vallecano were relegated, while Sporting Gijon saved themselves with a 2-0 win over Villarreal on Sunday.
Getafe were the only side with matters in their own hands but succumbed to a 2-1 defeat at Real Betis to end their 12-year stay in the top flight.
That handed Sporting the chance to keep themselves up and they duly obliged as goals from Jony and Sergio Alvarez left coach and former Barcelona defender Abelardo Fernandez in tears on the touchline.
Rayo beat already-relegated Levante 3-1 thanks to goals from Pablo Hernandez, Roberto Trashorras and Miku, but victory couldn’t extend their longest ever stay in La Liga of five seasons as they fell a point short of Sporting.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ