Connect with us

Aston Villa

US International Brek Shea On Verge Of Signing Deal to Join Stoke City: The Nightly EPL

US international winger Brek Shea is poised to sign a deal to join Stoke City in the English Premier League for a transfer fee of $3.5 million, according to ESPN pundit Taylor Twellman.

The current FC Dallas footballer has been inconsistent at the club level, but has the potential to flourish given an opportunity to shine on the world’s stage. Shea previously was invited to train with Arsenal, but nothing resulted from his time at Arsenal’s Shenley Training Centre.

It appears that a medical is the only obstacle in Shea’s path from clinching a deal, but that should be straightforward. Let’s keep our fingers crossed that another American will be heading to the Premier League!

Here are tonight’s Premier League news headlines:

The Nightly EPL is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s British newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly EPL on EPL Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
  • Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more

34 Comments

34 Comments

1. IanCransonsKnees

January 19, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Pulis says Shea is coming over to England in his post match interview today.

2. Rvpfan

January 19, 2013 at 8:06 am

First time I watched him was against Mexico when Klinsmann gave him his international debut. He was a sub came on in the second half and played in the left wing. Mexico were up by a goal and Shea came in and immediately started darting down the left creating havoc. He created US equalizer too. Even though he played less minutes you could see that he had what is needed at that level to succeed. Good young player who needs premier league experience to flourish and reach his high potential.

3. IanCransonsKnees

January 19, 2013 at 4:02 am

So is he any good then. So long as he’s on a par with Super Geoff I’d be happy enough to stick him straight in the first team. Stoke had to negotiate over Geoff and local reports are the deal is on but will take time to get done with MLS trying to screw more out of it.

Funnily enough I heard about this before Christmas from a source but hadn’t seen anything elsewhere so assumed it was a no go.

I think Geoff Cameron’s good start and the fact he seems a first team fixture can only be attractive to MLS players we scout. I’d like to see us go for Holden (Geoff knocks about with him over here) but I’m not sure he’s the same player since that injury.

I do know Pulis and the club in general are quite taken with MLS as a VFM market for players.

• Arboleda

January 19, 2013 at 6:52 am

When he is healthy and on form he is very good can be a bit patchy though with that form but very decent. I have high hopes for him as do many Americans

• Guy

January 19, 2013 at 8:17 am

If we get him and he comes good I can see Potters crawling out of the woodwork in the US….glory hunters. 😉

• Clampdown

January 19, 2013 at 8:57 am

An immature headcase with bucketloads of talent. Once he grows up he could turn out to be an excellent player. Has played almost every position since he became a professional, but looks best suited for the left wing. He crosses well and can finish. He’s also tall, which I’m starting think matters to Pulis.

He also sports some of the worst takes on a mohawk you’ll ever see.

4. jtm371

January 18, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Dust
    so who do you pull for in the CFC/AFC match?maybe just a draw.

• dust

January 18, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Just a draw, not sure what the odds are at the bookies for an alien invasion during the game that abducts the players and coaching staff of both teams, never to return. I would put at least a bullseye on that…..you never know

• Guy

January 19, 2013 at 8:11 am

lol 😀

• IanCransonsKnees

January 19, 2013 at 8:16 am

Can’t you get them to take the fans too?

• Guy

January 19, 2013 at 8:25 am

Yeoow!

5. Eplnfl

January 18, 2013 at 9:56 pm

So is he going or not? Last I read the offer was refused.

6. krazymunky

January 18, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Why would you post a pic of the Rooster…without his amazing rooster hair?!

7. Mufc77

January 18, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Lol Fergie planting the seed in the minds if the FA to get Luis the racist Suarez banned for admitting he cheated. I suppose if he wasn’t booked at the time the FA might still be able to charge him.

• Aaron

January 19, 2013 at 9:56 am

Suarez is “racist”? News to me. And isn’t it a bit ironic Fergie talking about this at all considering he’s had some of the most prolific divers in the history of the game playing for him? Am I allowed to say “isn’t that the pot calling the kettle black”, or would you brand me racist for doing so?

• Yespage

January 19, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Wait… that was Suarez in the Stoke game? I thought that was a fish.

8. Kunal Patel

January 18, 2013 at 7:24 pm

A little behind on the Brek Shea news. FC Dallas rejected Stoke’s offer and as of now Shea won’t be moving.

• The Gaffer

January 18, 2013 at 7:32 pm

What’s the credible source for that news?

9. Smokey Bacon

January 18, 2013 at 7:18 pm

A worrying trend seeing these up and coming US players going to Stoke. Klinsmann will be working overtime to rid them of their bad habits when they show up for international duty!

• Gav

January 19, 2013 at 6:02 am

I take it your a moronic ARSEnal yank “supporter”?

• The Gaffer

January 19, 2013 at 6:25 am

Typical British attitude.

• IanCransonsKnees

January 19, 2013 at 8:14 am

Same could be said of Smokey’s comment regarding Stoke Gaffer.

Generally if it isn’t top four then most Americans arent interested.

Or is that too sweeeping a statement?

• The Gaffer

January 19, 2013 at 8:42 am

I think it’s fair, but it’s too sweeping a statement to make about many Americans — especially on this site, where there are ones that support Fulham, QPR and other smaller clubs, including Stoke.

• jtm371

January 19, 2013 at 9:15 am

GFYR!

• Guy

January 19, 2013 at 8:21 am

haha. I think Klinsy can handle it and would imagine he’s thrilled that another one of his guys is getting a chance to play in the Prem.

I don’t care who they play for, it can only help them and us in the end.

• Smokey Bacon

January 19, 2013 at 9:35 am

It seems having a light hearted pop at Stoke is like having a go at Suarez with all these comments! And somehow you lot think I’m a yank too despite all my posts about England. Too funny.

• Guy

January 19, 2013 at 10:12 am

Now, now, Smokey. You did note my “haha” didn’t you? I see humor in just about everything. 😉

• Smokey Bacon

January 19, 2013 at 11:26 am

I heard Pulis wanted him for his long throw.