MON, 3PM ET
TUES, 2:45PM ET
BAR
AJA
TUES, 2:45PM ET
SCH
SPC

What's In Your Soccer Video Collection?

What's In Your Soccer Video Collection?

After Sunday’s Community Shield match between Chelsea and Manchester United, I had a chance to watch the highlights of the game with the Digital Video Recorder (DVR) that I use to record games. I got to see Chicharito’s goal again that he scored with his face. It’s not something you get to see very often.

After watching the highlights after the game, I immediately deleted it from my DVR recordings. Not because I didn’t enjoy it, but more because I don’t like a lot of clutter in my saved programs on my DVR. Plus, the DVR itself doesn’t have a whole lot of space. I could buy a bigger hard drive for my DVR, but it’s not high on my priorities right now.

That got me thinking, though. Are you the type of soccer fan who deletes everything, like me, or do you save some matches to either watch again or to add to your collection?

If you look through my library of soccer games, you’ll find very few. I have a set of nine video tapes from the 1992-1994 which include my home recordings of the weekly English soccer highlights show that appeared on late night cable television. Little did I know it at the time, but the videos serve as a part of history as they showcase the genesis of the Premier League. I also have a few assorted videos. Highlights of the 2005 Champions League Final. One of the greatest comebacks in history. And a few other miscellaneous videos including some goal highlight videos.

What’s interesting about soccer matches is that they’re more disposable than most programs. There are too many in a season to save all of them. They are literally hundreds of them every year. And they’re far more frequent than a work of art such as a film or album which can take years to create. With films and albums, they’re easier to remember. Soccer matches tend to drift together. Near the end of the season, it’s often difficult to remember specific games that stood out. Yes, there are some. But it’s hard to remember the details. Unless, of course, you have the games taped for posterity and repeat viewing for days or months to come.

But what about you? What’s in your collection? And do you or do you not keep any of the games that you record? And if so, which ones? Share your stories in the comments section below.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to What's In Your Soccer Video Collection?

1. RedMD says:

Used to keep matches on tape, especially from early years when I was in school. For a long time I had various matches from Italia 90…for some reason none of USA 94….and had a bunch of France 98 matches recorded. Also ended up with the Scottish FA Cup final from 1999 for some reason on tape, and the odd Euro 2000 match, but slowly as VHS went out of style, I think they’ve been discarded and now these old matches, for me at least, exist as memories.

• The Gaffer says:

I used to have all of the 1990, 1994 and 1998 World Cup videos on video tape, but I ended up selling them in the early 2000′s to help get money to deposit on a house.

BTW, for all readers, ‘video’ could mean what you have on your DVR, on a hard drive or DVD, etc. ‘Video,’ in the headline above, is not confined to just VHS or BETAMAX. Thanks.

2. Josh says:

I usually delete everything right after I am done viewing it to control the clutter as well. The only thing that does not get deleted is the Premiership Goals of the Season hour long special. I can watch any of those at any time. Nothing gets me more pumped before I play than the top ten of the season! That Danny Rose strike was a thing of beauty!

3. Yespage says:

I just have two on VHS:

- 2001 FA Cup final between Liverpool and Arsenal. Westerveld had an awesome game that day.

- 2001 UEFA Cup final between Liverpool and Deportivo Alaves. Perhaps the most exciting game I’ve ever watched. The game appeared over not even halfway through the first half. And what followed was just goal scoring madness.

I did have the Chelsea v Liverpool Champion’s League return matchup on DVR, but I got a new receiver and that game was gone. Speak about another crazy matchup.

4. pungentjoe says:

i’m way out of control,i record to dvd every manchester united game win lose or
    draw ,i have every game from from 2004-05 every season review since
    the premier league started plus selected games between the top 4, its silly because
    chances of my rewatching a game in which they lost is slim i dont lable the final
    score just the game and date,i always think that i will watch the games in the
    summer but never get around to it,maybe when i retire i will have time to rewatch all of them.i think you could lable me a fanatic.

• Daniel Williams says:

Im really interested in sum premier league games can you please please send me a list asap many thanx:)

5. Kyle says:

Just as with Joe I have a massive collection mostly Premier league matches with my team Liverpool going back to 1999-2000. I have added matches from earlier plus highlights as there were no live club matches outside of cup finals before 1983. My personal favorite is from 1988 we we hammered Brian Clough’s Nottingham Forest 5-0Last count I have between 350-400 on DVD while I am transferring the last to DVD and then onto a external hard drive so I can have them forever.

• Daniel Williams says:

Kyle, im really interested to know wot premier league games that you have please please can you please contact me asap many thanx:)