Inter Milan coach Roberto Mancini has reversed his position and will stay on with the club for next season after discussions with president Massimo Moratti. Mancini made a shock announcement of his decision to step down at the end of the campaign after Inter’s exit from the Champions League on Tuesday.
As soon as the words came from his lips, the rumours about Jose Mourinho taking over at Inter Milan started to circulate. Mourinho is a great manager but Mancini’s track record is very strong as well. Since joining Inter in 2004, Mancini has guided the team to two Coppa Italia (2005 and 2006), two Supercoppa Italiana (2005 and 2006) and two Scudetti (2005–06 and 2006–07), becoming the most successful Inter coach of the last 10 years. Ironically, Mancini was mentioned as heading to Chelsea had he stood by his decision.
Earlier this season, the Italian media said Moratti had held talks with Mourinho but the club and the Portuguese denied it. Some media said the reports upset Mancini and could be a reason for his behaviour. However, it appears the disappointment at going out in the Champion League round of 16 for a second straight season was a major factor.
The question on my mind is has he undermined himself with the players? Will the players continue to respond to a manager who has shown uncertainty over his future at the club? It will be interesting to see what happens this weekend when Inter take on Palermo.