Estoril (Portugal) (AFP) – UEFA director of competitions Giorgio Marchetti on Thursday rejected the idea of a European Super League made up of the continent’s top clubs, but said the format of the Champions League could evolve.
“If the Super League is a competition for an elite, closed, then it’s not our competition,” said Marchetti on the sidelines of a football congress organised at Estoril, near Lisbon.
Marchetti said that the European competitions and notably the elite Champions League “must change to remain the biggest club competitions in the world”.
The Italian insisted however that “after several analyses we can say that for the 2018-2021 cycle the format will not change”.
The idea of a Super League, a rival tournament to UEFA competitions, has been frequently touted by big clubs such as Bayern Munich and its president Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season