Sunday’s broadcast of Manchester United versus Manchester City broke the record for the most-watched Premier League game of all time on US television, averaging 1.76 million viewers across NBC, Telemundo and NBC Sports Digital.
The first Manchester derby of 2020 averaged 1.33 million on NBC, while Telemundo’s broadcast of the game in Spanish-language averaged 366,000 viewers. Across NBC Sports Digital streaming platforms, United’s 2-0 win over City added 56,000 viewers.
Telemundo’s viewing figure for Man United against Man City ranked as the third most-watched Premier League game so far this season on Spanish-language TV, behind Liverpool-Man City on Nov. 10 (404,000 viewers) and Liverpool-Man United on Jan. 19 (383,000 viewers).
Sunday’s match narrowly beat out the previous record, which was 1.72 million for the April 2018 edition of the Manchester derby.
Before NBC Sports acquired the rights for the 2013/14 season onwards, FOX Sports televised the Premier League on US TV. FOX’s record was 1.64 million for a Liverpool-Chelsea game in 2011 on tape delay when it was featured during a block of NFL games on a Sunday afternoon.
Ten years ago, the most-watched Premier League game on US TV was roughly 400,000 viewers. That puts the 1.76 million record-breaking number in context.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $10.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $14.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo