Sometimes rivalries, hate, and revenge aren’t the only things that allow violence to destroy a spectacle. There are cases in which violence is generated based on incompetence. When justice is given out in such a haphazard way, that in the end it ruins the spectacle it makes many people angry. That was the case when Recreativo Linense were beating 1-0 in the regional first division of the southern province of Cadiz- that is before referee Jose Manuel Barro Escandón stopped the match.
Escandón had already issued one red card before a fight broke out between two players. The conflict escalated into a brawl involving several players from both teams as well as spectators who invaded the pitch. After the pitch became a battlefield, the referee stopped the match and fleed to the safety of the changing rooms. According to his post-match report, he stated that he had sent off 19 players.
According to an interview by The Telegraph, Linense coach Sebastian Naranjo said the red cards were unjustifed: “After the altercation between Francis and Aguilar, there were no clashes.
“The players who intervened, and even the spectators, were just trying to see that things didn’t get worse. I don’t know what got into the guy [the referee].”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo