Part of the buildup in this year’s season of English soccer is how each fan predicts the 2022/23 EFL Championship.
No, it is not the Premier League. However, the case can be made that it is wildly more unpredictable and exciting, particularly from a neutral perspective. Each season, any one club could clinch promotion to the Premier League. At the same time, the threat of the drop is always looming in the back of clubs’ minds.
Therefore, predictions for the upcoming Championship campaign are extremely unlikely to be perfect. That being said, the buildup for the season does lay out potential outcomes. New signings, new managers or new styles of play develop and can cater to any team’s success on the field.
That being said, certain clubs do have a nod towards success. Norwich City, Watford and Burnley are the three clubs coming down from the Premier League. The first two of those are ‘yo-yo’ clubs, meaning they are frequent travelers between the two divisions.
At the other end of the table, Wigan, Rotherham and Sunderland enter the Championship. There is still a strong jump in the quality from League One to the Championship, as is the case from the Championship to the Premier League. It will be challenging for these clubs to make a mark, but crazier results transpired before.
Use the comment section at the bottom of this post to share your predictions for the 2022/23 Championship campaign. Also, critique the predictions listed below.
Who could make a run at the Premier League, and who looks set for the drop?
Predict the 2022/23 Championship Table
The 2022/23 Championship season kicks off on Friday July 29. Huddersfield Town and Burnley get things under way. Before then, here are our picks for how the season pans out.
Watch Football League
Includes: EFL Championship, Bundesliga, La Liga & More
1. Huddersfield Town
2. West Bromwich Albion
5. Norwich City
6. Sheffield United
9. Hull City
10. Luton Town
11. Stoke City
12. Swansea City
13. Cardiff City
15. Bristol City
16. Preston North End
17. Coventry City
19. Blackburn Rovers
20. Wigan Athletic
22. Birmingham City
Playoff final winner: Watford
2. Sheffield United
5. Stoke City
7. West Bromwich Albion
8. Luton Town
10. Coventry City
11. Preston North End
12. Blackburn Rovers
13. Huddersfield Town
14. Cardiff City
16. Swansea City
20. Bristol City
21. Wigan Athletic
22. Birmingham City
23. Hull City
Playoff final winner: Burnley
You can predict the Championship 2022/23 final table, too. Add your predicted table in the comments section below.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Southampton has early red flags in this Premier League campaign
- Sarr both Watford’s hero and villain in West Brom draw
- Everton sign England’s Coady on season-long loan from Wolves
- Dortmund complete Modeste signing from Cologne
- Darkhorse Denmark brings recent triumphs to World Cup 2022
- Former Man Utd star Giggs accused of ‘litany of abuse’ at assault trial
- Holders Wydad Casablanca among 58 CAF Champions League hopefuls
- 2022/23 LaLiga prediction: What will the final table look like?
- African players in Europe: Salah, Mane score as season starts
- Three talking points from the Premier League’s opening weekend