Berlin (AFP) – RB Leipzig on Friday signed Austria central midfielder Xaver Schlager from Bundesliga rivals VfL Wolfsburg after actioning an release clause in his contract.
According to reports, Leipzig will pay around 12 million euros ($12.5 million) for the 24-year-old, who has signed a contract until 2026.
“RB Leipzig are one of Germany’s top teams and are consistently in Europe, they have now won their first major title with the German Cup,” said Schlager in a statement.
“I’m really pleased I can continue my development here.”
The Austrian made 81 appearances, scoring three goals, for Wolfsburg, who he joined in 2019 from Leipzig’s sister club Red Bull Salzburg.
He was a first-choice player despite a serious ankle injury in 2019 and torn knee ligaments at the start of last season which sidelined him until February.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season