London (AFP) – Wayne Rooney saw his Derby County side wipe out their total points deduction with a 3-2 win at home to Bournemouth on Sunday that prevented the Cherries from returning to the top of English football’s second-tier.
Tom Lawrence scored twice in the second half after Bournemouth had responded to falling behind to Jason Knight’s opener with goals from Jaidon Anthony and Dominic Solanke.
But although this was a first win in eight games for for a Derby side managed by former Manchester United and England striker Rooney, the three points they gained only took them to a total of zero points as they remained marooned at the foot of the Championship table.
Tuesday saw the Midlands club hit with a further nine-point penalty for breaches of English Football League accounting rules.
That took the total points docked from the Rams this season to 21, after the club were previously deducted 12 points for entering administration.
That meant Derby kicked off against Bournemouth on minus three points and, despite erasing that deficit, relegation to the third tier of English football looks likely given Rooney’s men are still 15 points shy of safety.
A further three-point penalty, which is suspended, will take effect if the club does not comply with the terms of a budget agreement for the rest of the 2021/22 season.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Zlatan Ibrahimović to feature in latest film of French Asterix series
- International duty brings sweep of injuries to Barcelona
- Slaven Bilić becomes Watford’s 17th full-time manager since 2012
- Where to find Hungary vs. Italy on US TV
- Where to find England vs. Germany on US TV
- Sling Blue, Peacock and Paramount+ provide the best games for less
- Sling Blue to air over 50 Premier League games through year end
- Where to find Denmark vs. France on US TV
- Where to find Chelsea vs. Manchester City on US TV
- CBS Sports to televise more women’s soccer matches