Madrid (AFP) – Carlo Ancelotti delivered a reality check to Eden Hazard on Tuesday by saying the Belgian is being left out of Real Madrid’s starting line-up because he “prefers other players”.
Hazard has endured a nightmare two years riddled with injuries since joining from Chelsea for 100 million euros ($115.9 million) and he stayed on the bench during Madrid’s 2-1 win over Barcelona at Camp Nou on Sunday.
The 30-year-old has only started four La Liga games this season under Ancelotti, with an unknown muscle injury the latest fitness issue to rule him out of action earlier this month.
Ancelotti says Hazard is now available again but the likes of Vinicius Junior and Rodrygo are being picked on merit.
“He has absolutely everything,” said Ancelotti, ahead of Madrid’s game against Osasuna on Wednesday.
“But he has to put up with it. He’s not playing but he has all the characteristics of a Real Madrid player – quality and motivation – but there are times when the coach prefers other players.
“He can play. But the coach in this moment prefers other players. The important thing is he is motivated to work and to play. He is doing that and his time will come.”
Ancelotti said Gareth Bale has returned to light training after recovering from a hamstring injury and that the Welshman could play for Real Madrid in the last game before the international break on November 6.
“He was medically cleared yesterday after a test,” said Ancelotti. “He has started to work individually and next week he will be able to train with the team. The only game before the break that I can see him playing is the game against Rayo (Vallecano).”
With Bale and Hazard each lacking fitness and form, Vinicius has stepped up, the Brazilian starring in the victory against Barcelona and finding a new level under Ancelotti.
“What I like most about him is his intensity,” Ancelotti said. “He has a lot of quality but he also works hard. He has that change of pace. He has to improve without the ball but he can do that because he is a humble footballer.
“He is young and just lacks a bit of experience in some moments. He can get distracted by the fans and has to be focused on the game, not on what is going on around him.”
Real Madrid are second in La Liga, a point behind Real Sociedad with a game in hand. Osasuna have enjoyed a strong start and sit sixth.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Telemundo World Cup studio talent for Qatar announced
- How Paramount+ can improve its soccer streaming
- Sterling could not waste peak years at Man City on the bench
- Africa Super League: What we know and don’t know
- Youri Tielemans to Arsenal more likely with Lokonga loan
- Frankfurt’s Kostic arrives in Turin for Juventus medical
- Elliott signs new long-term Liverpool deal
- Vela, Ruidiaz lift MLS All-Stars to 2-1 win over Liga MX
- Six new faces to watch in Serie A
- Barcelona sell off assets to make signings in attempt to restore glory days