Florence (Italy) (AFP) – Olivier Giroud has tested positive for Covid-19, his club AC Milan announced on Thursday as the France forward sits out his country’s World Cup qualifiers.
In a statement, Milan said Giroud “tested positive in a molecular swab carried out at home”, adding that he is “doing well but must remain in protective isolation”.
Giroud tested positive for the virus after France opted not to call him up for World Cup qualifiers this month. Les Bleus stumbled to a 1-1 draw with Bosnia and Herzegovina on Wednesday in the first of their three matches in the international break.
The 34-year-old was dropped by France coach Didier Deschamps despite being the country’s second-highest goalscorer behind Thierry Henry.
He has made a great start in Milan this season after signing from Chelsea, scoring twice in the 4-1 Serie A thumping of Cagliari at the San Siro on Sunday.
Milan also said that Giroud “has not had contact with the rest of the team since the league match against Cagliari”.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- CBS Sports to televise more women’s soccer matches
- Messi claims he had trouble finding himself at PSG
- Arsenal set Women’s Super League attendance record
- Southgate, Kane claim England are nearly powerless over Qatar
- Premier League should be decreased to 18 teams, says David Dein
- Southgate holding England back from being world beaters
- Where to find Mexico vs. Peru on US TV
- Where to find Czech Republic vs. Portugal on US TV
- Where to find Spain vs. Switzerland on US TV
- Where to find Scotland vs. Ireland on US TV