London (AFP) – England captain Harry Kane insisted on Friday that he had “never refused” to train at Tottenham Hotspur in spite of failing to show up for pre-season tests on Monday.
The 28-year-old forward, who remained on holiday in the Bahamas this week before travelling to Florida amid speculation that he was trying to force a transfer to Manchester City, said he would return to training on Saturday.
His absence, however, has prompted heavy criticism from Spurs’ supporters on social media.
“It’s almost 10 years since I made my Spurs debut. For every one of those years, you — the fans — have shown me total support and love,” Kane tweeted.
“That’s why it hurts to read some of the comments that have been made this week, questioning my professionalism.
“While I won’t go into the specifics of the situation, I want to clarify that I would never, and have never, refused to train. I will be returning to the club tomorrow (Saturday), as planned.”
Local boy Kane has been a fan favourite since breaking into the side under Mauricio Pochettino and has gone on to score 221 goals for Tottenham, second only to Jimmy Greaves’ 266 in the club’s all-time scoring record.
“I wouldn’t do anything to jeopardise the relationship I have with the fans who have given me such unwavering support during my time with the club,” he said.
“This has always been the case as it is today.”
On Friday, City manager Pep Guardiola said they would only make a move to sign Kane, who has three years left on his current contract, if Tottenham are willing to negotiate over the price tag.
Guardiola said Spurs would have to bend on their reported asking price of £150 million ($208 million) before a deal could be done.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family