London (AFP) – Chelsea have announced supporters will be allowed to attend board meetings from July after the club’s involvement in the failed European Super League plan.
Chelsea were one of the 12 teams who signed up to the Super League, only to pull out 48 hours later after a furious backlash from across football.
Fans protested ahead of Chelsea’s match with Brighton on April 20 in opposition to the controversial breakaway competition.
Now the Blues have responded to the barrage of criticism by agreeing to select three supporter advisors through an election process.
They will be able to attend approximately four board meetings per year to ensure general supporter sentiment is considered.
“Chelsea Football Club announces that, as from 1 July, there will be supporter presence at the club’s board meetings,” a statement said on Tuesday.
“The club will now consult with the Fans’ Forum and several non-official supporter groups to discuss the club’s proposed process for picking the three supporter advisors.
“Criteria for nominations as well as final selection will ensure that the supporter presence is representative of our supporter base generally and is inclusive and diverse. A new selection will be made before the start of each season.
“The successful candidates will be required to enter into a confidentiality agreement, similar in scope to the confidentiality obligations of a member of the Chelsea Football Club board of directors.
“This will allow the club to discuss and seek advice on a broad range of matters.”
Supporter advisors will not have voting rights or participate in meetings relating to players, staff or the academy.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Where to find Liverpool vs. Rangers on US TV
- Where to find Inter vs. Barcelona on US TV
- Where to find Frankfurt vs. Spurs on US TV
- Thomas Partey’s health is necessary for Arsenal and Ghana
- Vinícius and Foden should be in the ‘best young talent’ talk
- US Soccer releases report detailing abusive behavior in NWSL
- Book review of ‘How to Win the World Cup’ by Chris Evans
- Manchester United defeat highlights Ten Hag’s need for rotation
- 5 must-see Champions League games in matchday three
- Where to find Leicester City vs. Nottingham Forest on US TV