Berlin (AFP) – The 36 clubs in Germany’s top two leagues will go into compulsory “quarantine training camps” for the last two match days of the Bundesliga season, the German Football League (DFL) announced Thursday, to ensure the fixture schedule is completed on time.
Clubs in the first and second Bundesliga will go into camp from May 12 until the final weekend of the season on May 23.
With Germany currently in the third wave of the Covid-19 pandemic, the DFL has tightened hygiene restrictions.
The league has ordered clubs to fully isolate their squads for the last 10 days of the season to make sure it can be finished on time ahead of Euro 2020, which runs from June 11-July 11.
“The ‘quarantine training camps’ serve to additionally secure… match operations – especially taking into account the deadline pressure due to the UEFA EURO following the season,” said the DFL in a statement.
The DFL has reacted after Bundesliga strugglers Hertha Berlin were ordered into a two-week quarantine last Thursday after several squad members tested positive for the coronavirus.
There have also been several cases of clubs being quarantined in the second and third divisions.
Before starting the isolation camps, players and coaches are to go into a “quasi-quarantine” from May 3 when squad members and staff will only be able to move between their homes and club grounds, “to reduce contact and minimise the risk of infection”.
Bayern Munich, who are 10 points clear at the top of the Bundesliga, are set to be confirmed as German champions for the ninth consecutive season this Saturday at Mainz.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Thomas Partey’s health is necessary for Arsenal and Ghana
- Vinícius and Foden should be in the ‘best young talent’ talk
- US Soccer releases report detailing abusive behavior in NWSL
- Book review of ‘How to Win the World Cup’ by Chris Evans
- Manchester United defeat highlights Ten Hag’s need for rotation
- 5 must-see Champions League games in matchday three
- Where to find Leicester City vs. Nottingham Forest on US TV
- Will FOX broadcast the World Cup in 4K?
- Where to find Chicago Red Stars vs. Angel City FC on US TV
- Where to find Portland Timbers vs. LAFC on US TV