London (AFP) – The 14 Premier League clubs not involved in the proposed European Super League “unanimously and vigorously rejected” the plans at an emergency meeting on Tuesday.
The clubs met with league chiefs and the English Football Association to discuss the breakaway competition — involving the “big six” of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham.
The Super League plans have been widely condemned by the football authorities in England, plus UEFA and FIFA, as well as by the British government, and appear to be deeply unpopular with fans.
The Premier League issued a statement saying: “The 14 clubs at the meeting unanimously and vigorously rejected the plans for the competition.
“The Premier League is considering all actions available to prevent it from progressing, as well as holding those shareholders involved to account under its rules.”
It added: “The Premier League would like to thank fans and all stakeholders for the support they have shown this week on this significant issue.
“The reaction proves just how much our open pyramid and football community means to people.”
Plans for a wide-ranging reform of English football backed by Manchester United and Liverpool were also rejected by Premier League clubs in October 2020.
Under the controversial ‘Project Big Picture’ proposals, the number of teams in the English top flight would have been cut from 20 to 18 and the League Cup scrapped.
More power would have been handed to the biggest clubs in exchange for a large financial compensation package and a greater share of broadcast revenues for the English Football League (EFL).
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family