Abuja (AFP) – Nigeria will travel by boat for this weekend’s 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier in Benin after players raised concerns over the poor road network linking the neighbouring countries.
“It will be the best way to go there,” said Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr.
“Last Saturday, I made the trip and we were flying on the water. It was so quick and calm.”
The trip by sea takes around an hour.
Nigeria, who have called up as many as 20 overseas-based stars, will set sail for the capital Porto-Novo on Friday morning.
The three-time African champions lead Group L with eight points from four matches, while Benin are second on seven points.
Sierra Leone have three points and Lesotho bottom of the standings with two points with the top two teams advancing to the Nations Cup in Cameroon in January.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- International duty brings sweep of injuries to Barcelona
- Slaven Bilić becomes Watford’s 17th full-time manager since 2012
- Where to find Hungary vs. Italy on US TV
- Where to find England vs. Germany on US TV
- Sling Blue, Peacock and Paramount+ provide the best games for less
- Sling Blue to air over 50 Premier League games through year end
- Where to find Denmark vs. France on US TV
- Where to find Chelsea vs. Manchester City on US TV
- CBS Sports to televise more women’s soccer matches
- Messi claims he had trouble finding himself at PSG