Lille (France) (AFP) – Ligue 1 leaders Lille on Monday criticised the racist abuse suffered by their players during their French Cup win at Gazelec Ajaccio.
Portugal midfielder Renato Sanches said on Instagram he had received “racist comments” during Sunday’s 3-1 victory in Corsica, held behind closed doors due to coronavirus restrictions.
“If Lille are already shocked that many tens of ‘spectators’ were able to meet just metres away from the field during the game in disregard of the Covid-19 rules and securities in place, they totally condemn the unacceptable racist insults proclaimed towards their players by these individuals,” they said in a statement.
“The club regret that this behaviour, visible and audible to those at the match, did not lead to any intervention from the organisers.”
The hosts also slammed the incident.
“Gazelec Ajaccio condemn all racist remarks which would have taken place during the match,” club president Mathieu Messina Arrighi said in a statement.
30+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes TUDN, GolTV, Univision, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more