Wellington (AFP) – New Zealand women’s football international Rebekah Stott revealed Wednesday she had been diagnosed with blood cancer, vowing to stay positive as she battles the disease.
The 27-year-old defender, who plays for Brighton and Hove Albion in England, said she received the news while in quarantine after returning home to New Zealand.
Stott said she would undergo chemotherapy for Hodgkin’s lymphoma but said the cancer was “very treatable, very curable, especially in young people”.
“I think being an elite athlete definitely helps with that,” she said, in a video message posted on Twitter.
“I’m very healthy and pretty fit… I think that will give me the best possible chance to come out of it even stronger.
“I know it’s not going to be easy but I really want to go through this with a positive attitude.”
Stott’s news prompted an outpouring of support from New Zealand sporting circles, including the All Blacks, who tweeted: “Kia kaha (stay strong) Rebekah, we are right behind you in your fight to beat this.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Premier League’s most underrated XI in the 2021/22 season
- Marseille secure Champions League place as Bordeaux go down
- RB Leipzig win first German Cup trophy
- Ten-man RB Leipzig win German Cup final on penalties
- La Rochelle boost Top 14 play-off hopes ahead of Euro final
- Fiorentina beat Juve to reach Conference League, Atalanta out of Europe
- ‘Very happy’ Mbappe snubs Real Madrid to stay at PSG
- Lyon beat Barca to claim eighth Women’s Champions League
- Which countries are FIFA World Cup rivals?
- Rangers lift Scottish Cup trophy after Europa League heartache