Berlin (AFP) – Manchester United’s Dutch defender Timothy Fosu-Mensah has joined Bayer Leverkusen, it was announced Wednesday, after a lack of first-team opportunities at Old Trafford this season.
The 23-year-old centre-back, with just over 100 minutes playing time in three games for United this season, has switched to the Bundesliga and joined Leverkusen on a contract until June 2024.
His transfer reportedly cost Leverkusen around 1.7 million euros ($2 million).
A product of Ajax’s academy, Fosu-Mensah joined United in 2014, making 30 appearances, but has had few chances under Reds’ manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer since recovering from tearing knee ligaments which sidelined Fosu-Mensah for most of 2019/20.
The Dutch international, who in previous seasons had loan spells at Crystal Palace and Fulham, has not played since appearing in United’s 3-2 defeat at RB Leipzig in mid December which saw them knocked out of the Champions League.
“Timothy Fosu-Mensah is a technically skilled, fast and physically strong defender who can be used both as a right-back and in the centre,” said Leverkusen sports director Simon Rolfes.
“By signing him, we also have another top alternative for (right-backs) Santiago Arias and Mitchell Weiser” both currently sidelined by long-term injuries.
Leverkusen are currently third in the Bundesliga table, four points behind leaders Bayern Munich, ahead of Friday’s Bundesliga game at Union Berlin.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- EPL commentator schedule: October 1-3
- American businessman reportedly in talks to buy Everton
- Alfie Haaland suggests his son could soon leave Manchester City
- How DAZN acquiring Eleven Sports affects soccer fans in USA
- Where to find Puebla vs. América on US TV
- Where to find Hull City vs. Luton Town on US TV
- Iran national team stands in solidarity after nation erupts in turmoil
- USWNT roster announced ahead of October friendlies
- 2023 Women’s World Cup tickets go on sale from October 6th
- MLS killed the TV star: A farewell to MLS regional broadcast crews