Milan (AFP) – Inter Milan missed a chance to move top of Serie A on Wednesday with a 2-1 defeat at Sampdoria which ended their eight-match winning streak.
Alexis Sanchez missed an early penalty for Antonio Conte’s side who were tripped up by goals from former Inter players Antonio Candreva and Keita Balde.
Second-placed Inter stay one point behind Serie A leaders AC Milan who host champions Juventus later on Wednesday.
Inter’s leading scorer Romelu Lukaku started on the bench as the forward recovers from a muscular problem.
Sanchez started in place of Lukaku but missed the chance to give the visitors an early advantage with Emil Audero saving a penalty.
But Candreva made no mistake from the spot after 22 minutes, sending Samir Handanovic the wrong way after Samp were awarded a penalty for a Nicolo Barella handball.
Keita Balde added a second after 38 minutes following good work from Mikkel Damsgaard, the Danish winger sending the Senegalese forward through to coolly finish.
Lukaku came off the bench in place of Roberto Gagliardini with an just over an hour gone, two minutes before Stefan de Vrij’s header from a Marcelo Brozovic corner reduced the deficit for the visitors.
Claudio Ranieri’s Sampdoria ended their two-match losing streak to sit 11th.
Third-placed Roma closed the gap on Inter to three points after scoring three goals in 35 first half minutes in their 3-1 win at bottom side Crotone.
Borja Mayoral bagged a first-half brace with Henrikh Mkhitaryan adding a third from the penalty spot.
Sassuolo beat Genoa 2-1 to move fourth with Atalanta back in the European places with a 3-0 win over Parma.
Josip Ilicic set up Luis Muriel for the first in the 15th minute in Bergamo with fellow Colombian Duvan Zapata adding a second shortly after the break and Robin Gosens wrapping up the scoring after an hour.
Lazio won 2-1 against Fiorentina with goals in either half from Felipe Caicedo and Italian international Ciro Immobile.
The Romans are eighth in the table, two points behind Juventus, who will start their clash at the San Siro in seventh, 10 points off league leaders Milan.
Torino grabbed a point in a 1-1 draw at home against Hellas Verona to move out of the relegation zone.
Cagliari stretched their winless run to nine games after falling 2-1 at home to Benevento, who sit 10th.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family