Asuncion (AFP) – South American football will restart with the “maximum guarantees” for the health of players and those involved, CONMEBOL president Alejandro Dominguez told the medical teams of the region’s 10 member associations by video call on Thursday.
Football in South America has been suspended since mid-March due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Dominguez said there will be “a coordinated, homogenous and responsible response so that the return of football can take place with the maximum guarantees for everyone.”
However, South American football’s governing body will wait to see what health measures each member country takes before deciding when to restart its flagship club competition, the Copa Libertadores, said CONMEBOL’s development director Gonzalo Belloso.
“The most difficult problem we face is the migration of teams and the airports,” said Belloso, adding that CONMEBOL hoped to restart its equivalent of Europe’s UEFA Champions League in September.
“We’re working with governments. We’re not going to put people’s lives at risk,” he added.
CONMEBOL was forced to postpone the Copa America that was due to begin this month until 2021 due to the virus.
Two rounds of qualifying matches for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar also had to be called off in March with the next round due to take place at the end of September.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Where to find River Plate vs. Lanús on US TV
- Where to find USWNT vs. Colombia on US TV
- World Cup tickets on sale and in high demand
- Euro hosts England thrash reigning champions Netherlands in friendly
- Man City agree deal for Leeds midfielder Phillips: reports
- Chelsea favorites to land Neymar if Brazilian departs PSG
- Former England star Rooney quits as Derby manager
- USMNT goalkeepers: Lack of playing time creates big dilemma
- Success of Apple’s groundbreaking MLS deal hinges on pricing
- Milan begin Serie A title defence with Udinese visit in mid-August