Lyon (AFP) – Lyon, who have reached this season’s Champions League last 16 but are set to miss out on next year’s European competitions with the French league campaign declared over, said on Thursday they could challenge the decision.
Earlier, Ligue 1’s standings were confirmed with the seven-time title winners finishing in seventh position, outside the continental berths.
Doubt remains about the possibility of holding this season’s League Cup final with Lyon set to face top-flight champions Paris Saint-Germain, with victory offering qualification for the Europa League.
“Lyon reserve the possibility of trying to appeal against this decision and claiming damages and interest,” the club said in a statement.
Outspoken president Jean-Michel Aulas said the club would be hit financially if they missed out on Champions League or Europa League participation.
“It’s significant loss of a chance. The losses for the club will come to several million euros,” he told AFP and newspaper Le Progres.
Lyon hold a 1-0 first leg lead over Serie A champions Juventus in this season’s Champions League last 16.
UEFA’s medical committee said on Wednesday it believed restarting the season would be possible.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Youngsters Fernandez, Araujo help Benfica into Champions League play-offs
- Berkane set to face Nigerian club in quest for third CAF Cup title
- Former Man Utd star Giggs ‘headbutted’ ex-girlfriend in face, court hears
- Chelsea’s Werner returns to RB Leipzig
- Nigerian clubs out of luck in CAF Champions League draws
- ESPN renews English Football League rights deal
- Giggs assault trial: ex-girlfriend details ‘red flags’
- Everton sign Belgium’s Onana from Lille
- 2022/23 Serie A prediction: Who wins the Scudetto?
- Where to find PSV Eindhoven vs. AS Monaco on US TV