Berlin (AFP) – Bayern Munich captain and goalkeeper Manuel Neuer told German media Sunday he has become “irritated” with negotiations to extend his contract, which have reportedly stalled in recent weeks.
“All talks I have had since I have been here have been confidential… nothing has ever leaked,” the 34-year-old told Germany’s most popular daily Bild.
“But now, details about the current talks are constantly appearing in the media, and are often untrue. That irritates me. It’s not something I am used to at Bayern.”
The veteran goalkeeper’s unusually candid comments come amid widespread reports that his current contract negotiations have hit the rocks.
If the talks fail, club captain Neuer could be free to leave Bayern in June and attract the interest of the Premier League clubs.
According to Bild, Neuer and his agent Frank Kroth are demanding a five-year deal, with a salary of 20 million euros ($22 million) per season.
In Sunday’s interview, Kroth denied such details and said he was not “confronting the club with demands which will hit it hard in the coronavirus crisis”.
With Bundesliga matches currently suspended due to the coronavirus, Bayern have recently extended the contracts of forward Thomas Mueller and head coach Hansi Flick, both until 2023.
Neuer hailed Flick as a “super coach” and said that the 55-year-old’s extension had convinced him too to stay on at Bayern.
“I want to have a contract which is a win-win situation for me and Bayern. I want to perform, be there for the team… and give 100 percent,” he said.
“The conditions have to be right (for that),” he added.
Neuer, who helped Germany win the 2014 World Cup title, has been named world goalkeeper of the year four times.
He has kept 191 clean sheets in 373 appearances for Bayern since joining from Schalke in 2011 and made 92 appearances for Germany.
Undisputed number one for nearly a decade, Neuer’s future at Bayern has been thrown into doubt by the impending arrival of young Schalke goalkeeper Alexander Nuebel.
Nuebel, 23, will join Bayern at the end of the current campaign, and has reportedly been promised at least 10 appearances per season.
Yet Neuer dismissed the idea that his number one jersey was under threat.
“As long as I am performing, I will play. That is my assumption,” he told Bild.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Kylian Mbappé can shock the world again at World Cup 2022
- What is the best soccer stadium in the world?
- Where to find Santos vs. Flamengo on US TV
- Where to find Fluminense vs. Corinthians on US TV
- Romelu Lukaku homecoming provides opportunity at Inter Milan
- Wimbledon, Tour, cricket and rugby find Covid still in the air
- Maldini signs new two-year director deal with AC Milan
- Sampaoli leaves Marseille amid differences with club bosses
- Best still to come from ‘legend’ Salah after signing new Liverpool deal
- Salah ends speculation by signing new Liverpool contract