Paris (AFP) – Tom Hanks attracted attention on social media Sunday after the Aston Villa supporter posted a tweet appearing to celebrate the English side’s League Cup triumph — a month before the final.
The two-time Oscar-winning actor has long said he is a fan of the Birmingham club.
“Aston Villa took the Carabao Cup! Up the Villa! Hanx,” the 63-year-old wrote, referencing the sponsors name for the tournament.
Aston Villa beat Leicester on Tuesday to reach the final, where they will face holders and red-hot favourites Manchester City at Wembley on March 1.
“Premature speculation?,” tweeted former England striker Gary Lineker in response.
Hanks will turn his focus back to films next weekend, when he will be hoping to win a third Academy Award after being nominated for best supporting actor for his role as Fred Rogers in “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood”.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season