Abuja (AFP) – Bordeaux winger Samuel Kalu will miss Nigeria’s next two games due to injury, the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) said on Friday.
The Super Eagles play the Seychelles in their last Africa Cup of Nations qualifier on March 22 then take on Egypt in a friendly four days later.
Nigeria are top of Group E on 10 points ahead of South Africa on 9, Libya on 7 and Seychelles on 1pt, with this weekend’s match concluding the preliminary group round.
Both matches are due to be played in the southern city of Asaba.
Team spokesman Toyin Ibitoye said youth team captain Ikouwem Udoh, 19, would replace 21-year-old Kalu, whose mother was recently kidnapped and held for a week until a ransom was paid.
Udoh, who plays for club side Enyimba, is a left-back who has played for Nigeria’s home-based team, which lost in the final of last year’s African Nations Championship to Morocco.
Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr has said he is keen to get more left-sided players into the squad in the run-up to the AFCON tournament in June.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Haiti’s women footballers dream of international success
- ESPN wants FIFA 2030 World Cup rights
- Record crowd sees England women off to winning start at Euro 2022
- Veteran France keeper Mandanda joins Rennes after Marseille exit
- Italy’s Pessina moves to ambitious Monza on loan
- Adams joins American contingent at Leeds
- Veteran France keeper Mandanda set for Rennes after Marseille exit
- Chelsea closing in on deal for Man City’s Sterling – reports
- Belgium golden generation’s last chance at winning World Cup
- Dortmund swoop for Haller to fill Haaland void