Shanghai (AFP) – Tottenham Hotspurs Belgian international midfielder Mousa Dembele is poised to seal a move to Guangzhou R&F, a source at the Chinese club told AFP on Thursday.
The 31-year-old will cost about 12 million euros and he is set to become the latest big-name star to join the Chinese Super League (CSL).
Dembele is regarded as one of the finest midfielders in the English Premier League when fit, but his appearances have become increasingly limited because of injury.
His move to R&F, whose coach is the former Yugoslav great Dragan Stojkovic, could be officially announced as soon as Thursday, the club source said on condition of anonymity.
Dembele, who has more than 80 caps for Belgium, joined Tottenham in 2012 from Fulham and in his pomp was a dynamic fulcrum in their midfield.
He started his career in his native Belgium before moves to Willem II and AZ Alkmaar in the Netherlands.
It was there that the midfielder caught the eye of Fulham’s scouts and he spent two years at Craven Cottage.
Dembele’s signing would represent a coup for R&F, who are not one of China’s traditional heavyweights and flirted with relegation from the CSL last season before finishing just below mid-table.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- New CEO aims to make Bundesliga world’s ‘most digital league’
- UK government in talks with ‘international partners’ over Chelsea sale
- West Ham’s Bowen named in England squad for Nations League
- Bayern sign right-back Mazraoui from Ajax
- BBC apologises to fans after ‘Manchester United are rubbish’ gaffe
- Former Bayern boss Kovac to coach Wolfsburg
- Ancelotti ‘respects’ Mbappe decision, says Real Madrid focused on final
- UK police to take no action after Vieira ‘kick’ at Everton fan
- West Ham’s Kurt Zouma pleads guilty to kicking pet cat
- Top-tier Chongqing latest Chinese football club to fold