London (AFP) – Arsenal goalkeeper Petr Cech has been ruled out for up to a month with a hamstring injury.
Cech limped off late in the first half of Arsenal’s 2-0 win against Watford on Saturday after suffering the injury while taking a goal-kick.
Arsenal said in an update on their official website ahead of their Europa League tie at Qarabag on Thursday that Gunners captain Cech had a “left hamstring injury” and was “expected to return to full training in three to four weeks”.
The former Chelsea star has not made the trip to Azerbaijan and will definitely miss Sunday’s visit to Fulham, Arsenal’s last Premier League before an international break, and the home game on October 22 against Leicester.
Bernd Leno produced an impressive display after replacing Cech against Watford and boss Unai Emery backed the German to prove a sturdy understudy.
Leno arrived from Bayer Leverkusen during the close season, but before Cech’s injury had only featured in the Europa League and the League Cup.
Arsenal also confirmed that Ainsley Maitland-Niles was expected back in full training during early October, quicker than initially suggested after he fractured his left fibula.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- What it’s like watching the Premier League from Hawaii
- Ineos billionaire Ratcliffe ‘potential buyer’ of Man Utd
- Mendy rape accuser tells UK court she tried to fight off footballer
- Man Utd legend Giggs cites disciplinary record in assault trial
- Christian Pulisic’s ominous, but necessary, move to Man United
- Sevilla sign youngster Nianzou from Bayern
- Ronaldo cautioned by police after allegedly slapping phone from fan’s hand
- PSG defender Kehrer joins West Ham
- Dubai airport gears up to handle World Cup supporters
- Ronaldo blasts ‘lies’ over Man Utd future