Bangkok (AFP) – A Thai court on Monday indicted 15 players, a referee and a linesman for involvement in match-fixing in the domestic football league last year.
The announcement follows a lengthy investigation which saw many of the accused arrested and released on bail.
The Attorney General’s office said in a statement the 15 were charged with “violating sport laws, gambling laws and criminal codes”.
The penalties could range from one to ten years in jail or up to 600,000 baht ($18,000) in fines.
All have denied the charges and a court will convene to gather evidence in September, the statement said.
It did not mention the specific clubs.
In November the Football Association of Thailand (FAT) said a dozen people had been accused of “receiving money or benefits in order to throw a game” or influencing others to throw a game or manipulate the score.
But it said more could be swept up in what the national police chief called a “historic” investigation for the sport.
The FAT released the details of the probe days after the end of the football season, after noticing an unusual number of last-minute goals involving one football club.
Thais are football-mad and the boss of the FAT, a former police chief, vowed to clean up the sport when he took office.
Police said at the time that the most paid to players and officials to fix a single game was the equivalent of around $27,000.
Thai league football was once notorious for match-fixing but in recent years the league has professionalised.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Romelu Lukaku homecoming provides opportunity at Inter Milan
- Wimbledon, Tour, cricket and rugby find Covid still in the air
- Maldini signs new two-year director deal with AC Milan
- Sampaoli leaves Marseille amid differences with club bosses
- Best still to come from ‘legend’ Salah after signing new Liverpool deal
- Salah ends speculation by signing new Liverpool contract
- Sampaoli leaves Marseille speaking of differences with club bosses
- Add a scarf of your favorite soccer team to our virtual wall
- Sampaoli leaves Marseille before Champions League return
- Moussa Sissoko joins Nantes from Watford