Moscow (AFP) – Diego Maradona says he is fine after sparking a health scare following Argentina’s dramatic late win against Nigeria that saw them progress to the last 16 of the World Cup.
Maradona had been visibly emotional during the match in Saint Petersburg, which Argentina had to win to stay in the tournament.
He leaned over the front of the VIP box from where he was watching with friends and made an obscene gesture after Marcos Rojo scored a late winner.
“I want to tell everyone that I am fine, that I am not and was not hospitalised,” the 57-year-old wrote on Instagram on Wednesday.
A video emerged showing the 1986 World Cup winner looking dazed.
He walked with difficulty and was guided into the dining room of the VIP section by two friends before sitting down in a chair.
“At half-time against Nigeria, my neck hurt a lot and I suffered a drop in my blood pressure,” he said.
“I was checked by a doctor and he recommended that I go home before the second half, but I wanted to stay because we were risking it all,” he wrote.
“How could I leave?”
A medical source told Russia’s RIA Novosti state news agency that paramedics checked Maradona’s blood pressure but that the star refused all other assistance.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- World Soccer Talk acquired by Playmaker
- PSG set to appoint Galtier as Pochettino departs
- Tottenham’s Son Heung-min says he faced racism as teen in Germany
- Where to find Boca Juniors vs. Corinthians on US TV
- England under pressure to make home advantage count at Euro 2022
- US, Jamaica women win in World Cup, Olympic qualifying event
- Ronaldo’s power play puts pressure on Ten Hag
- Galtier appointed PSG coach on two-year deal: sources
- Veteran Quagliarella extends Samp stay to 2023
- Marseille name Croat Igor Tudor as new coach