Shanghai (AFP) – Manchester United have held onto their position as the top football club online in China, with Barcelona star Lionel Messi the number one player, a report said.
The annual Red Card report by Shanghai-based sports digital consultancy Mailman found Jose Mourinho’s side are the best-performing club for the second year in a row despite their lack of recent Premier League success.
United are followed in the list by European champions Real Madrid and Germany’s Bayern Munich.
Anthony Martial is the third most popular player in China, behind only Messi and Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo, with United midfielder Paul Pogba and former captain Wayne Rooney completing the top five.
The report, which used eight different performance indicators, places the Bundesliga ahead of the Premier League as the number one European football league online.
“With over 107 million followers, China is one of Manchester United’s most important markets and we have a long history of innovation and fan engagement in the region,” Phil Lynch, United’s chief executive of media, said in the report.
“Through data analysis, geo-specific content creation and on-the-ground activities, we continue to be the most-followed football club on China’s major social media platforms: Sina Weibo and WeChat.
“We are honoured to receive the Red Card award for the second consecutive year and we are excited about the ongoing opportunities to innovate and build our brand, allowing our fans in China to interact with the club and our products.”
United have long boasted an enormous international following, with 72 million followers on Facebook and 17 million on Twitter.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Liverpool assess Salah, Van Dijk ahead of Southampton clash
- African players in Europe: Mane has last laugh on Mendy
- Anti-homophobia group demands PSG explain Gueye absence
- Where to find Newcastle vs. Arsenal on US TV
- Frankfurt ready to rock Rangers in Seville under Borre’s influence
- Late goal spree takes Moroccan club Berkane to CAF Cup final
- Brentford duo report racist abuse of family at Everton
- Mbappe says decision ‘almost’ made over PSG future
- Martinez brace ensures Inter take title race to final week
- Suarez bids Atletico farewell as Sevilla qualify for Champions League