Madrid (AFP) – Celta Vigo and Spain forward Iago Aspas has been accused of racially abusing Levante’s Colombian midfielder Jefferson Lerma during the clubs’ meeting in La Liga on Sunday.
“In front of the cameras I want to make a complaint, I don’t think these acts of racism should happen, I think Aspas called me a ‘black shit’ and that cannot happen,” Lerma told beIN Sports after Sunday’s game, which Celta won 1-0.
Lerma also claimed that he reported the incident to the match referee, but that he paid no attention.
“It is not up to me to be the judge, but this has affected me and it cannot happen,” added the 23-year-old Colombian international.
Levante have stood up for Lerma, saying in a tweet that they “want to give full backing to the player and reject any expression of racism in football.”
However, Aspas has denied the accusation in a statement published on Celta’s website.
“What is said on the field, stays on the field. That is why I am not going to repeat what he said to me. In any case, I did not call him what he says I called him,” said Aspas, who played for Liverpool in 2013-14 before being loaned to Sevilla and then returning to his first club Celta.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Football fans allowed for China’s Covid-delayed kick-off
- Liverpool fans confident Reds will bounce back after Champions League setback
- Salah’s Egyptian fans share in his Champions League misery
- UEFA blames ‘fake tickets’ for Champions League final delay
- Courtois earns respect with heroics to thwart Liverpool in Champions League final
- Liverpool will ‘come again’ after anticlimactic end to stellar season
- ‘I can’t do much more’ to win Ballon d’Or – Benzema
- Families of Liverpool staff caught up in Champions League final chaos – Klopp
- ‘Fake tickets’ to blame for Champions League final delay, UEFA say
- Real Madrid win Champions League; Ancelotti breaks record