Tokyo (AFP) – Japan’s Cerezo Osaka celebrated their first-ever domestic title after a 2-0 victory over Kawasaki Frontale in the J-League Cup final on Saturday.
Japan striker Kenyu Sugimoto stunned Kawasaki with a clinical finish after just 47 seconds before Brazilian midfielder Souza put the result beyond doubt deep into injury time in Saitama.
“It’s a great feeling,” Cerezo manager Yoon Jong-Hwan told reporters.
“It hasn’t been easy to get to this point,” added the Korean after an unbeaten run to the season’s first major trophy.
“To do it without losing a single match is a tribute to the players, who have done a wonderful job.”
Cerezo’s forerunner Yanmar Diesel won the old Japan Soccer League four times between 1971 and 1980 and also captured three Emperor’s Cups.
But the club has struggled since the professional J-League was launched in the early nineties.
Kawasaki, meanwhile, finished as League Cup runners-up for a fourth time.
“It hurts,” said Frontale coach Toru Oniki. “I feel responsible. We gifted them an early goal and controlled the game but were just a little bit over-anxious.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Charlotte vs Chelsea tickets on sale soon for July 20 clash
- ‘Uncomfortable’ Magath plots against old club Hamburg in play-off
- Senegal probing feared homophobic attack by mob
- Lampard warns Everton against treating Palace clash as ‘all-or-nothing’ game
- ‘Historic’ equal pay deal for US men and women soccer teams
- PSG’s Gueye asked to explain absence after homophobia accusations
- Europa League Final on TV: Rangers vs. Frankfurt details
- Liverpool’s Klopp has ‘no reason’ to talk to Gerrard before title climax
- Where to find Rangers vs. Frankfurt Europa League Final TV
- Qatar World Cup’s perplexing personal safety concerns