London (AFP) – Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho will face no further action from the English Football Association following his dismissal in the Premier League clash at Southampton at the weekend.
The 54-year-old was sent to the stands by referee Craig Pawson for encroaching on the pitch during stoppage time of his side’s 1-0 win at St Mary’s on Saturday.
Unlike players, there are no automatic bans for red-carded managers and any additional punishment depends on the referee’s report.
In this case, Mourinho appears to have taken the referee’s decision without any further comment or reaction and the matter is closed.
The United boss said after the match that he was baffled by his red card. “I don’t know,” he said. “Craig told me to leave, and I left.”
The FA is also taking no action at this point against United over the singing of a controversial chant about striker Romelu Lukaku by fans.
The club are understood to be liaising with Southampton to gain access to CCTV footage of Saturday’s crowd so it can identify those responsible.
United reiterated their condemnation of the crude chant about Lukaku.
Both United and Belgian striker Lukaku had previously implored supporters to stop singing the song, which draws on racial stereotypes about the size of black men’s penises.
But fans sang it again at St Mary’s, as well as “We’re Man United, we’ll sing what we want”.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- The Spaniard raised at Barcelona who made Hong Kong football history
- ‘One in a million’ Klopp makes Liverpool a European giant once more
- Harmony reigns as Ancelotti and Real Madrid proves a winning combination
- Real Madrid remain Europe’s most valuable football club: report
- Tearful Mourinho hails Conference League ‘history’ for Roma
- Mbappe’s rumored benefits allow too much power for one player
- Zaniolo fires Roma to Conference League triumph over Feyenoord
- Kompany ‘parts ways’ with Belgium’s Anderlecht
- FOX & fuboTV’s UEFA Nations League plans raise concerns
- Robertson urges Scotland to put sentiment aside in Ukraine play-off