Moscow (AFP) – The World Cup trophy tour began a worldwide tour in Moscow on Saturday at a ceremony attended by Russian President Vladimir Putin and FIFA chief Gianni Infantino.
Ten months before the 2018 World Cup kicks off there, the ceremony took place at Luzhniki stadium, which has been fully renovated and will also host the final and five other matches.
The event was also attended by football stars of the past — Bebeto of Brazil and former French striker David Trezeguet.
Putin has promised that his country will complete the preparations for hosting the tournament on time.
“Everything is going according to scedule, everything is supported by the financial backing,” Putin said.
Infantino said he was confident Russia would put on a tournament to remember.
“The World Cup is the most famous sports symbol, it’s unique,” he said.
“We will tell Russia and the entire world what a competition will take place here in 2018. I’m confident that it will be a remarkable tournament.”
The FIFA boss said he was impressed with the modernisation of the Luzhniki stadium.
“The stadium is absolutely amazing. It’s very beautiful and it has absolutely everything that a stadium of the highest class should have,” Infantino said.
The World Cup trophy will be showcased in 24 Russian cities and more than 50 countries around the globe giving fans an opportunity to see the most coveted prize in world football.
The World Cup will be played between June 14 and July 15 at 12 venues in 11 cities — Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Sochi, Kazan, Saransk, Kaliningrad, Volgograd, Rostov-on-Don, Nizhny Novgorod, Yekaterinburg and Samara.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Sling is your ticket to the best of PSG starring Messi, Neymar and Mbappe
- FIFA officially advances World Cup by a day for Qatar
- Telemundo World Cup studio talent for Qatar announced
- How Paramount+ can improve its soccer streaming
- Sterling could not waste peak years at Man City on the bench
- Africa Super League: What we know and don’t know
- Youri Tielemans to Arsenal more likely with Lokonga loan
- Frankfurt’s Kostic arrives in Turin for Juventus medical
- Elliott signs new long-term Liverpool deal
- Vela, Ruidiaz lift MLS All-Stars to 2-1 win over Liga MX