Madrid (AFP) – Sevilla’s chances of automatic Champions League qualification suffered a huge blow on Monday as Malaga edged a six-goal Andalusian derby 4-2.
Jorge Sampaoli’s men remain three points behind third-placed Atletico Madrid with just three games to go.
However, they maintain a five-point lead over Villarreal in the fight for the final Champions League place.
Sevilla had gotten off to a perfect start when Franco Vazquez put the visitors in front on the half hour mark.
However, the lead lasted just eight minutes as Pablo Fornals levelled for the hosts.
Former Barcelona forward Sandro Ramirez continued his brilliant form with his sixth goal in as many games as he pounced on a glaring defensive error from Nico Pareja to drill home at the near post.
Vazquez brought Sevilla level once more with a neat finish from close range.
However, Diego Llorente restored Malaga’s lead when he rose highest to head home Ramirez’s free-kick 13 minutes from time.
And despite Ramirez fluffing his lines from the penalty spot, Juan Carlos slammed home the rebound to round off the scoring.
A third straight victory moves Malaga up to 12th.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- England footballers’ wives libel spat ends with judgment reserved
- Pep Guardiola’s title-decider selections a major challenge for City
- Women to referee at World Cup finals for first time
- Marseille’s Kamara in for Pogba in France Nations League squad
- Frank optimistic Eriksen will stay at Brentford
- Flick recalls Reus in strong Germany squad
- New Man Utd manager Ten Hag to attend Palace finale – reports
- Bale deserves good Real Madrid farewell, says Ancelotti
- Gabon star Aubameyang retires from international football
- Bale named in Wales squad for World Cup play-off final