Sydney (AFP) – Brisbane Roar keeper Jamie Young needed stitches in a nasty arm gash from a rusty net hook during their AFC Champions League loss in Thailand, a report said Thursday, with the club set to complain.
Young was diving to save Muangthong United’s 37th-minute goal on Wednesday in Thailand when he slammed into the goalpost, ripping open his arm on the hook.
The injury required 26 stitches, the Brisbane Courier-Mail reported, saying the club would lodge a formal complaint with the AFC (Asian Football Confederation).
“The goalposts cannot be of danger to any player and clearly they were,” Roar football director Craig Moore said.
“We hope that he’s going to be OK (for their next game against Melbourne Victory) but I won’t have any more information until he gets stitched up and we get a medical report.”
The Roar’s 3-0 defeat to Muangthong quashed their hopes of playing in the AFC Champions League knockout stages.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season