Madrid (AFP) – The Spanish football league on Thursday said they were pursuing legal action against 10 fans of Rayo Vallecano who accused Ukrainian international Roman Zozulia of having “neo-Nazi” sympathies.
Zozulia, 27, spent just 24 hours on loan at the club from Spanish rivals Real Betis before being recalled following Vallecano fans greeting his arrival with banners reading: “Vallekas is not the place for Nazis.”
But La Liga on Thursday said they were bringing a criminal case against 10 fans “on charges of coercion”.
Zozulia insisted he was “not linked to or a supporter of any paramilitary or neo-Nazi group.”
However, he did admit to “collaborating with the Ukranian army to help protect his country.”
Zozulia has only made six appearances for Betis since joining on a free transfer from Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk at the start of the season.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season