London (AFP) – Out-of-favour Manchester United forward Anthony Martial took to Twitter on Monday to tell fans to ignore speculation he could be on his way out of the club.
British newspaper The Sun claimed Martial, 21, could join Paris Saint-Germain at the end of the season after struggling to convince manager Jose Mourinho of his worth.
But the France international told his close to 800,000 Twitter followers: “Dont listen (to) the papers it’s wrong thanks. Come on United.”
Martial joined United from Monaco in September 2015 in a deal with a reported potential worth of up to £58 million ($72 million, 67 million euros).
He was United’s top scorer last season with 17 goals in all competitions, but has found the net only six times this season and has not featured in the club’s last three Premier League games.
Mourinho hit out at Martial and his entourage in December after the player’s agent, Philippe Lamboley, said the former Lyon youngster was a target for Sevilla.
“Anthony has to listen to me and not his agent,” Mourinho said.
“With Martial, every day I read the newspaper. ‘Martial goes to Sevilla’, ‘Martial goes on loan’, ‘Martial is not happy’. Martial has to listen to me. He is a player with amazing conditions to be a top player.”
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ