Libreville (AFP) – Five facts for the Africa Cup of Nations semi-final between Burkina Faso and Egypt at Stade de l’Amitie in Libreville Wednesday (1900 GMT):
— Egypt have met Burkina Faso twice before in the Cup of Nations, winning a 1998 semi-final 2-0 and a 2000 group game 4-2.
— African legend Hossam Hassan scored twice in the semi-final, putting the Pharaohs ahead just before half-time and adding a second 19 minutes from time.
— The group match was a thriller with Burkina Faso taking a two-goal lead and Egypt clawing back to snatch the lead through Hany Ramzy with five minutes left.
— Both countries are among the current top 10 in Africa with FIFA ranking Egypt third and Burkina Faso eighth. Eighteen places divide them in the world listings.
— Egypt have played 11 Cup of Nations semi-finals, winning seven and losing four, while Burkina Faso have a one win-one loss semi-finals record.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season