Glasgow (AFP) – Kenny Miller scored a stunning 100th goal for Rangers to give them a 1-0 win over Inverness Caledonian Thistle in the Scottish Premiership on Friday.
The 36-year-old striker, in his third spell at the club, got on the end of Lee Wallace’s cross to send a sensational strike fizzing past Owain Fon Williams into the net for the only goal of the game in the 22nd minute.
The win moves Rangers up into third place in the table four points behind bitter rivals Celtic — although Rangers have played two more matches — who host Motherwell on Saturday.
Rangers made two changes in the centre of defence as Clint Hill and Rob Kiernan were handed starts and the pair were posted missing early on when Greg Tansey swung in a free-kick from out on the left but Lonsana Doumbouya, unmarked on the six-yard line, somehow sent his header over the bar under no pressure.
The visitors quickly recovered from the scare to dominate possession and an ambitious 30 yard effort from Martyn Waghorn wasn’t far away before Barrie McKay sent a wayward shot over.
Rangers took the lead in the 22nd minute with a superb strike from Miller. Wallace galloped down the wing and swung in a cross which Miller met with a vicious volley that fizzed past Fon Williams for his 100th goal for Rangers.
The Inverness ‘keeper then came to the rescue for his side as he first denied another Miller effort before producing a superb save on the line to keep out Waghorn’s cushioned volley from close range.
Miller came close to adding to his tally seconds after the break when he nearly caught the unsighted Fon Williams out with a curling effort but the ‘keeper got down late to push it round the post.
Inverness improved and Aaron Doran’s miss-hit shot found its way past Wes Foderingham but Kiernan was on the goal-line to hook the ball clear.
Substitute Alex Fisher then missed a late opportunity to haul his side level when he sent his free header from close range harmlessly wide.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Conte not expecting touchline ban after Tuchel clash
- Mendy rape accuser details alleged attack in locked room at his mansion
- Ben Brereton Díaz rumors signal ambitious signings from Nice
- Chelsea probe alleged racist abuse against Spurs forward Son
- Kobe forget domestic woes to advance in Asian Champions League
- World Cup ticket sales approach 2.5 million, organisers say
- Union Berlin book tells story of club in a changing city and country
- Wolves sign Nunes from Sporting Lisbon in club-record deal
- MLS Earthquakes name US assistant Gonzalez as coach
- What it’s like watching the Premier League from Hawaii