London (AFP) – Agents are a “cancer” on the game of football, Napoli’s outspoken president Aurelio De Laurentiis declared on Wednesday.
“Agents are the cancer of our domain,” De Laurentiis said during a talk at the Leaders Sport Business Summit in London.
He told reporters: “Not every agent. It is the system which is weak. But I don’t understand why you need an agent always.
“The agent behaves like a tax and sometimes they want to be paid up front. You make a contact for five years and they want to be paid in two, three years.
“Why? Because when they receive all the money, they go shopping around and making your players crazy.
“They will say, ‘I’m negotiating with (for example) West Ham. They will pay you two million more.’ So these poor guys start to play not in the appropriate way.”
De Laurentiis, a prominent film producer, strongly criticised Argentine striker Gonzalo Higuain after he left Napoli for Juventus earlier this year, saying he had “betrayed” the club.
Higuain, who cost Juventus 90 million euros ($100.9 million), countered that he had been “pushed” out of Napoli by De Laurentiis and “couldn’t stand another minute with him”.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Brazil against replaying abandoned Argentina World Cup qualifier
- Real Madrid defeat Eintracht Frankfurt to win fifth UEFA Super Cup
- Silva says Man City know what he wants amid Barcelona links
- Zamalek president jailed for insulting rival
- Peacock TV wishlist of improvements to enhance streaming service
- ‘Very good’: Werner says Flick encouraged him to return to Leipzig
- Alexis Sanchez joins Marseille after leaving Inter
- CAF launches new Super League to boost clubs
- Qatar World Cup start brought forward to November 20: sources
- Qatar World Cup to start a day early on November 20: sources