Suva (Fiji) (AFP) – Fiji have sacked former Socceroos boss Frank Farina as their football coach following the island nation’s poor showing at the Rio Olympics, reports said on Tuesday.
Fiji conceded 23 goals in three games at the tournament in Brazil, including a 10-0 thrashing by eventual silver-medallists Germany, and managed to score only once.
The Fiji Broadcasting Corporation said Australia’s Farina had not turned up for work since the Olympics and had not submitted a post-Games report.
The Fiji Sun said his two-year contract, signed in October last year, had been terminated.
No one from the Fiji Football Association was immediately available to comment.
Farina was promoted to senior men’s coach after enjoying success with Fiji at last year’s Under-20 World Cup in New Zealand, where they narrowly missed out on the last 16.
Farina warned before the Games that the Pacific nation’s expectations of its footballers were unrealistically high.
“We are not the Fiji rugby sevens side who are the world champions. We want to put in a good performance, not be embarrassed, and be credible,” he told FIFA.com in July.
“That is reality, and some people, who think we will go there and win a medal, don’t understand that.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Conte not expecting touchline ban after Tuchel clash
- Mendy rape accuser details alleged attack in locked room at his mansion
- Ben Brereton Díaz rumors signal ambitious signings from Nice
- Chelsea probe alleged racist abuse against Spurs forward Son
- Kobe forget domestic woes to advance in Asian Champions League
- World Cup ticket sales approach 2.5 million, organisers say
- Union Berlin book tells story of club in a changing city and country
- Wolves sign Nunes from Sporting Lisbon in club-record deal
- MLS Earthquakes name US assistant Gonzalez as coach
- What it’s like watching the Premier League from Hawaii