Miami (AFP) – United States coach Jurgen Klinsmann has called for patience as the clamour for rising star Christian Pulisic to be given a starting berth reaches fever pitch.
Borussia Dortmund teenager Pulisic produced a sparkling two-goal cameo last Friday as the USA demolished St. Vincent and the Grenadines 6-0 in Kingstown.
The result left the USA needing only a draw against Trinidad and Tobago in Jacksonville, Florida on Tuesday to be sure of progressing to the final round of CONCACAF qualifiers for the 2018 World Cup.
However a massive advantage over Guatemala on goal difference means the USA could probably afford to lose on Tuesday and still advance alongside Trinidad, who have already assured themselves of qualification.
That healthy goal difference has left Klinsmann with room to experiment with his line-up — and fuelled hope that the 17-year-old Pulisic may start.
Pulisic, who has now scored three goals in seven appearances for the USA since making his debut earlier this year, is widely regarded as one of the brightest talents in American soccer for years.
English side Liverpool are reportedly circling the youngster, who became the youngest ever player to score for the USA when he netted on his third international appearance against Bolivia in May.
But while applauding the youngster’s form, Klinsmann emphasised that the attacking midfielder would be developed gradually, hinting that he may have to wait longer to be named in the starting line-up.
– ‘One step at a time’ –
“Christian came in against St. Vincent and did a fantastic job. He kind of really made it look all easy,” Klinsmann said during a question and answer session on Facebook.
“Obviously we know he has tremendous talent and that’s why he’s with Borussia Dortmund. We’re going to build him one step at a time,” the German World Cup winner added.
“A lot of people are anxious that we start him from the beginning. That day will come there is no doubt about it.
“But for us it’s important that we build him with patience, with not too much hype and expectation either.
“We are thrilled that he’s growing and that he’s getting more mature. We’ll take it one step at a time.”
Klinsmann has said he will not confirm his starting line-up until shortly before kick-off on Tuesday.
While Pulisic may have to wait for a start, Klinsmann has confirmed however that veteran goalkeeper Tim Howard will return on Tuesday for what will be his 110th cap.
It will be Howard’s record 32nd appearance in a World Cup qualifier for the USA, surpassing Kasey Keller’s haul of 31 amassed between 1996 and 2005.
Klinsmann meanwhile said there is no question of the USA playing for a draw as they aim to wrap up qualification.
“On paper it looks easy, one point would be enough, we have a good goal difference,” he said. “But I’ve tried to make it very clear to the players that this is still a big game for us. It’s a World Cup qualifier so we can’t take it lightly.
“We only need one point but we would love to win this game so we can finish first in our group.”
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family