For the third consecutive year in a row, TV ratings for the MLS All-Star Game have declined. This year’s game between the MLS All-Star team and Arsenal generated only 513,000 viewers on ESPN during a primetime broadcast that was televised live on Thursday, July 28.
Compared to three years ago, the viewing figure for the MLS All-Star vs. Arsenal game dropped 40% from the 2013 game against Bayern Munich.
It’s hard for soccer fans to get excited about the MLS All-Star Game when most MLS fans themselves are apathetic about the annual game. Part infomercial, part friendly, the mere idea of a All-Star Game doesn’t appear to work in soccer. When Arsenal, the second most popular Premier League in the United States, can’t move the TV ratings needle, you know that something must be wrong.
Here are the TV viewing figures from the past several years:
|MLS All-Star Opponent||Broadcaster||Viewers|
|2015||Tottenham||FOX Sports 1||548,000|
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family