Milan (AFP) – Italy’s billionaire former prime minister Silvio Berlusconi said Tuesday he was ready to sell AC Milan to a Chinese investor as long as 400 million euros are invested in the struggling Serie A giants over two years.
“I gave up all claims to the price, I accepted what was offered to me, which does not even take into account the importance of the brand,” Berlusconi said.
The 79-year-old media mogul did not name the investor but said it was a “Chinese company with public capital”.
“I demanded the new owners commit to invest at least 400 million euros (about $450 million) in AC Milan over the next two years,” he told reporters on his release from hospital after open-heart surgery.
He had initially hoped to keep the fallen seven-time European champions “in Italian hands” but in May the club said Berlusconi’s holding company Fininvest had begun serious negotiations with a Chinese consortium.
The takeover would see AC Milan become the second Milan club, after Inter Milan, to be sold to Asian owners. Inter was taken over by Indonesian businessman Erick Thohir in November 2014.
“Rossoneri” fans will watch cautiously from the sidelines to see what transpires from the latest chapter in a prolonged epic about the club and its likely future direction.
In June last year it was announced Thai businessman Bee Taechaubol would purchase a 48 percent stake in Milan, although the deal came to nothing after he reportedly failed in his bid to collect the necessary funds.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family