Lens (France) (AFP) – Gareth Bale drilled home a long-range free-kick to put Wales 1-0 up against neighbours and Group B rivals England at half-time in Lens on Thursday.
Raheem Sterling blazed over inside the opening 10 minutes in what represented England’s best chance, while Chris Smalling flashed a header just wide from a corner.
But Real Madrid star Bale hammered a free-kick past England goalkeeper Joe Hart from 35 yards just before the break to put Wales on course for the last 16.
Wales beat Slovakia 2-1 in their opening match and can clinch top spot in the Group with victory, while England drew their first game against Russia 1-1.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season