Washington (AFP) – Richie Marquez scored on a volley in the first minute of second-half stoppage time to give the Philadelphia Union a 1-0 Major League Soccer victory over DC United.
A perfect cross from the right side by French forward Sebastien Le Toux set up the right-footed shot by Marquez that produced the 23-year-old US defender’s first goal in 31 MLS contests.
With the victory, the Union seized the lead in the MLS Eastern Conference at 5-3-3 for 18 points, one more than New York City FC.
City can reclaim the top spot Saturday with a victory over the New York Red Bulls in the first Big Apple derby of the season.
Should City falter, the Montreal Impact could move into the top spot in the East with a Saturday victory over Orlando City.
Visiting United fell to 3-5 with four drawn, sixth in the East table on 13 points.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season