Borussia Dortmund’s Henrikh Mkhitaryan is currently in the midst of an absolute superb season in Germany. While teammates Marco Reus and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang regularly receive universal praise, the 27-year-old Mkhitaryan has somewhat quietly been just as good as his talented teammates this season, if not better. According to Transfermarkt.com, the Armenia international has racked up an astounding 23 goals and 32 assists in 50 total matches for Die Borussen during the current campaign.
Mkhitaryan became Dortmund’s most expensive ever signing in 2013 (£23.6 million), when he made the switch from Ukrainian giants Shakhtar Donetsk. The winger hit the ground running in his first season with the German club, as he registered nine goals and 10 assists during league play in his freshman Bundesliga campaign. However, following the impressive start to his Dortmund career, Mkhitaryan endured a frustrating sophomore season at Signal Iduna Park. Despite featuring in 42 total matches during the 2014/15 season, the Armenian only managed seven assists while his club wound up finishing seventh in the league table.
Nevertheless, Mkhitaryan was back at his best to begin the 2015/16 season. During Dortmund’s first 18 Bundesliga matches, the 27-year-old had scored seven goals and added 12 assists (the German club only lost three matches in this stretch). He didn’t slow down there though. Since the start of April, Mkhitaryan has eight assists in just seven games on the pitch. With the star winger at the top of his game, and with only one year left on his current contract at Dortmund, there will certainly be plenty of suitors for Mkhitaryan heading into the summer transfer period.
Two of these potential suitors, Arsenal and Juventus, have already reportedly been in contact with the German club about a possible deal for the player. Because of Mkhitaryan’s deal is set to expire in 2017, either one of the aforementioned clubs (or another) could very well get a fantastic deal for the player, as Dortmund would likely want to receive some sort of transfer fee rather than seeing the winger leave for free next summer. The price tag for the Dortmund player is thought to be in the £25 million region.
The Gunners would do well to secure a deal for Mkhitaryan. With England international duo Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Theo Walcott potentially on the chopping block due to poor form, the Dortmund winger would suit the north London club well. Mkhitaryan’s lethal combination of agility, pace, and vision are top notch and he would seemingly be a substantial upgrade over either Oxlade-Chamberlain or Walcott.
Juventus could also benefit from signing Mkhitaryan. As current Chelsea loanee Juan Cuadrado looks set to rejoin the Blues, Juventus would have a missing hole out on their right flank. While it was previously thought that the Colombian would seek a permanent deal with the Italian giants, former Juventus manager Antonio Conte will switch to the Chelsea bench this summer and is reportedly willing to bring Cuadrado with him.
Whether Arsenal, Juventus, or another club secure the signing of Mkhitaryan remains to be seen; however, it will be tough for Dortmund to hang on to their star when the summer transfer window slams shut on September 1st. With Eurosport claiming that he is keen on a move to London, Arsenal may indeed have the upper hand on a potential Mkhitaryan deal.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family