UEFA has approved the use of goal-line technology in its competitions, starting with the Euro 2016 tournament in France, the acting head of European soccer Gianni Infantino said Friday.
“We looked at it seriously … and finally we decided to start with Euro (2016) and then move on to the Champions League,” Infantino told journalists following a UEFA executive meeting.
“Now we are going to look at how to implement it,” he added.
The technology is already used in the English Premier League, Italy’s Serie A, the German Bundesliga and Ligue 1 in France. World governing body FIFA also brought it in for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil after a series of successful trials.
Suspended UEFA boss Michel Platini had said he was open to goal-line technology if Europe’s referee’s felt it could enhance accurate officiating. And the European federation’s chief referee Pierluigi Collina earlier this week said that the European tournament, which runs from June 10 to July 10, would provide “a good opportunity” for the use of the technology.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- LAFC confirms 12-month Bale deal with options through 2024
- Barcelona unveils 2022/23 away kit to honor Olympics anniversary
- Favre new Nice coach as Galtier in PSG talks
- Gabriel Jesus signing helps Mikel Arteta’s aims at Arsenal
- Turkish Süper Lig rights renewed by beIN SPORTS
- Spain without injured Hermoso for Euro 2022
- Cech joins list of Chelsea departures
- USA England World Cup tickets going fast
- A Review of ‘A Woman’s Game’ book by Suzanne Wrack
- Qatar warns against unauthorised use of World Cup logo on car plates